Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2020 17:37:37 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /bin/sh is what? Can I set tab autocompletion for that sh?

On 26/08/2020 17:09, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 22/08/2020 08:40, Polytropon wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 09:28:27 +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>>> I’m wondering whether I can set /bin/sh to autocomplete commands.
>>
>> The regular sh shell (which is the Almquist shell) does not
>> have that feature. As it is primarily intended for scripting,
>> and used interactively only in emergency cases (and even there
>> often only to start csh or bash), command completition has
>> probably never been considered for implementation.
>>
>> If you want this feature, just use csh, bash, zsh, ksh, fish,
>> depending on your individual shell preference.
>>
>> See "man 1 sh" and "man 5 editrc" for details.
>
> Errr...
>
> `set -o emacs`  or `set -E`
>
> will enable tab completion in /bin/sh, along with various other
> comman-line editing features.

Are you sure of that? If I drop into sh it's got emacs style editing for
the command line but tab completion always gives me matching files in
the current directory even in the command position. This is 11.3 (and I
know I need to upgrade :-)

--
The number of people predicting the demise of Moore's Law doubles
every 18 months.