Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:35:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange cross-build problem and something with GEOM

This is, for a change, not relative to my Vaio (which still won't boot
current, in spite of various improvements apparent in boot -v).

Hardware is a Supermicro P3TDDE (SMP P3-1G, via chipset).
2 60g drives, ad0 has a complete -stable on it, ad1 current.

First, GEOM:
On trying to do "boot0cfg -s1 /dev/ad0" to get back to booting stable,
to try to recover from the next problem, I get "operation not permitted".
This didn't happen with NO_GEOM...  Is there a new device name to use
here?

Unfortunately now I can't recover from the next problem without taking
a drive (the system in question is remote; fortunately only a few miles).

================== Part 2 =============================
Now for the cross-build problem:
----
On building both stable and current under stable, I get a crippled cpp
in current; it can't do *anything* right, and gets various errors in
various situations.
with source:
------------
gooney# cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
        printf("Hello, World!\n");
}
------------------------------
gooney# cc -o hello hello.c
hello.c:1: undefined or invalid # directive

If I add a comment in the first line, I get:
gooney# cc -o hello hello.c
hello.c:1: syntax error before `/'

and the make world under current dies in the very first mkdep, before the
first compile, with another cpp error:
--------------------------------------
mkdep -f .depend -a      /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c
/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c:0: malformed option `-A system=unix'
/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c:0: malformed option `-A system=bsd'
/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c:0: malformed option `-A system=FreeBSD'
/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c:0: malformed option `-A cpu=i386'
/usr/src/games/fortune/strfile/strfile.c:0: malformed option `-A machine=i386'
mkdep: compile failed
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Anyhow, I know from other experience that this is not a fundamental
problem with building gcc 3.x under fbsd 4.x; if the gnu build system
is used the result works fine.  Something is wrong in the 5.x cross-build
context that results in a brain-dead cpp.  All else "appears" OK, though
one wonders.

-- Pete