Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:37:20 +1000
From:      "Shaun Amy, CSIRO TIP/ATNF" <amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        amy@explorer.tip.CSIRO.AU
Subject:   4.0-RELEASE, PCMCIA, DHCP and IP

Hi,

If the subject line hasn't put you off then no doubt after reading this you
will think I am crazy in a fairly standard configuration almost works but for
the networking...

Basically I am trying to install 4.0-RELEASE (off a CD I burnt from the ISO
image whilst I wait for the WC CD kit) on a Dell Latitude CPi laptop (which
has run FreeBSD 2.2.x and FreeBSD 3.2 in the past).  I boot off floppy, do
the install of the CD and everything works just fine, including finding the
PCMCIA ethernet card (3Com 3C589B which I know works with FreeBSD) and using
DHCP to get the correct network parameters over the network.

The only problem is (and this sounds silly) is that with the PCMCIA card
configured with DHCP addresses it won't pass any IP traffic, even a ping to
another machine on the same subnet fails (so it isn't a routing issue).

I have done a few installs to try different things and even configuring the
IP address manually late in the sysinstall phase still exhibits the same
problem.  The interface config looks just fine (even after installation using
the shell on vty4) but it won't pass IP traffic from what I can tell.

I know the card is OK, the cable is OK, the hub/switch is OK as I can boot
Win2K and it gets its address from DHCP and works fine.  I think I understand
networking and do a fair bit of Unix administration so I don't think/hope it
is something I have overlooked but...

Sorry that there isn't much to go on, but I am out of ideas at the moment and
am wondering if anyone has seen something similar?

Many thanks, Shaun.