Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:34:34 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0-R panic on Dell PowerEdge 2450

> I've run into the following panic under heavy I/O on a Dell PowerEdge 2450
> (2x866 MHz P-III, 1 GB RAM, etc) running 4.0-R. There's a lot of information
> here...
>
> I can reproduce this in a few hours or less by running multiple concurrent
> "sort" processes in a "while /usr/bin/true" loop on a very large file (the
> disk I/O is for the temporary files in the directory pointed to by -T).
>
> The disk controller is,
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec aic7899 Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port 0xdc00-0xdcff mem
> da0: <SEAGATE ST318404LC 0005> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
> da1: <SEAGATE ST318404LC 0005> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device

Not sure if you've had this mentioned yet or not, but there are issues
between this SCSI driver and these disks; you need to get a firmware
update from Seagate (or disable write caching).

However, your real problem is that 4.0R does not correctly support the
APIC configuration in your system, and you will need to update to 4.1.