Date:      Thu, 04 Sep 1997 23:56:28 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyway to get connect speed with usermode ppp/tun0 device?

[.....]
> > 1.  The line is flaky, and it's causing errors.
> > 2.  The modem isn't falling back.
> > 3.  LQR is counting those errors and reporting them.
>
> This is all well and good until you add an error-correcting layer to
> the equation.
>
> If 1., then the receiving end will request a retransmission.  If the
> errors are really bad, then one or both ends will attempt 2.  At any
> rate, there should be no errors for 3. to detect; the error-correcting
> protocol is meant to guarantee error-free data transmission.

Ah, but if 1., where the ``line'' means the serial cable between the
UART & the modem ("It always seems to happen when I switch on the
radio", or "My ISP had a guy with an electric screwdriver playing
with their modem rack"), or if we've got sio overflows, or if the other
side is just sending us crap, *this* is where we see the FCS errors.

The error correction stuff, as you say, will hide this from the LQR
and application levels.

Interrestingly enough, I guess a modem that "falls forward"
(increases its data rate) may force sio overflows by essentially
catching up with the DTR speed (if DTR is set pretty low).

> > > and might be related to the other hanging things up.
> >
> > I don't understand what you're saying here.
>
> I'm not sure either; the most common cause of FCS errors on modern PPP
> links is flow control problems; it's possible that the terminal server
> you were connected to just dropped its guts, or the modem likewise.

Cosmic rays are common too :-)

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;