Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 22:18:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Dave Edwards <davo@katy.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   User PPP failing.

Hi,

We seem to be having a problem with user ppp on our dialin lines.

I look after an intel FreeBSD machine running 2.1.0-Release.  We
have 2 cyclades 16ye boards with about 18 modems of various types
attached so far.

I compiled a kernel with 20 tun devices and 20 slip devices for
our use but we are having lots of trouble with dialin PPP.  The
slip interfaces work fine.

The error occures just after the user logs in.  They get:

> Starting PPP for cuac0
> can't find ifindex.
> oen_tun: Device not configured

and the line drops of course..

ifconfig -a only show 12 tun devices configured which is a bit
suspect.  Is there a hard limmit on the number of slip/ppp/tun
devices we can use?

The devices are there, I made 20 in /dev.  We can sometimes
get up to three people in with PPP before it fails.  But can't
predict when it will fail.  At the moment we have only one on and
all other attempts are failing :(

So far I have tried upping maxusers to 15 and 4 other kernels with
different numbers of devices with no better luck.  I'm about to
install a kernel now with 20 ppp devices in case we have to move
over to kernel ppp (which will be a last resort..)

Any ideas folks??

ciao
dave
--