Date:      12 Oct 1999 14:23:43 +0000
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

"Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com> writes:
>> You must distinguish between phase cognizant target mode and host target
>> mode. What I intend to implement in the future is something that avoids
>> stalling the phase engine as possible, thus host target mode. Note that if

>I agree phase cognizant isn't that interesting.  The aic7xxx driver works
>in the fashion you describe.

	Phase cognizant is mostly useful for making
<random-device>-workalikes, and (primarily) for testing the initiator's
SCSI implementation (by feeding it weird shit).  I have no real interest in
either at this point.

>> As seen from SIM the handling of the target mode is in fact much simpler
>> tham initiator mode, since the part that acts as a target has the baton in
>> SCSI. So, a SIM that will only implement target mode should be
>> significantly simpler than common ones that only implement initiator mode
>> (given appropriate hardware).

>Target mode isn't difficult, but I would refrain from calling it simpler
>than the initiator role.  There are several little gotchas mostly having
>to do with resource deadlocks when running in both roles at the same time
>and the initiator tells you that you cannot disconnect.

	Well, you could always punt and return an error in that case
(though it's very not-nice to do so).  I assume the problem becomes
something like: command comes in with disconnect-disabled.  You need
to page (or otherwise access a disk) to fufill the request.  The disk
you need to access is on the same bus.  Ooops.  I forget if this was
explicitly considered in the CAM subcommittee discussions, or if it was
just felt that this was something that could not be dealt with.  I wouldn't
be surprised if we thought about it and agreed that it was not solvable,
and that an error return was perfectly reasonable, and that in this
sort of situation reselect-enabled was VERY strongly advised.

	I'm going to dig out my old mail archives from the Section 10
(now renumbered) subcommittee.  (A lot happened over conference calls too;
we never met in person.)

	Thanks for the info.
--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com