Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 1996 22:04:38 -0400
From:      Tommy Johnson <tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com, hackers@freebsd.org, huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil, matt@lkg.dec.com
Subject:   Re: de driver bug?

>> My scoop:
>> PCI SMC Etherpower 10baseT/10base2 ethernet card, on a dual 586-100 (labeled
>> "pentium" though).
>
>Have you tried using any of the link flags to ifconfig?  Modifying the
>driver before trying that simple test would be silly indeed.

Yes, thats the first thing I tried.  I thought hardcoding the media
type in the driver was ugly/evil/inelegant too.  :-)

I rebooted my machine today, and running FreeBSD2.2-Current as of about
8-15-1996, "ifconfig de0 [numeric address] netmask 0xffffff00 link2"
will get the 10base2 to work.  But I have to actualy type it, putting
it in the ifconfig_de0 line in sysconfig will not work.  (Yes I did
see LINK2 in the flags during boot...)  So something is still odd.

-Tom "this isn't happening... this isn't happening..." a grey alien, X Files
tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu  "My other computer ALSO runs unix." -me   <*>
http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/
Message and signature (c) 1996 Tommy O. Johnson, all rights reserved