Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:04:48 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        sjh@ucf.ics.uci.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh dies w/ sig 12

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 11:36:49AM -0700, Seth Hettich wrote:
> Trying to update to -current, in SU mode, doing the make installworld:
>=20
> [ ! -e /usr/bin/passwd ] || echo foo
>=20
> will make sh die
>=20
> This is even with the "new" sh from my buildworld (I am running the new
> kernel).

You're probably trying to cut corners and aren't following the full
(documented) upgrade procedure.  Signal 12 is SIGSYS (unimplemented
sycall), and you're receiving it because 5.0's /bin/sh depends on a
syscall which only exists in recent 5.0 kernels.  You shouldn't bump
into this if you upgrade correctly.

Kris

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--