Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:47:27 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        sridharv@ufl.edu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP queue question

Hi,
FreeBSD uses a single queue, but as long as you make sure that you
do not fill the queue with packets coming from a single interface,
you can still give some fairness to the system. Recent "DEVICE_POLLING"
code in -current (hopefully going into -stable at some point) does
exactly this -- an alternative way, which is not terribly hard to
implement, could be to put packets from each interface into a
separate queue as Comer suggests, and then going round-robin on
these queues upon the software interrupt.

As for the soft interrupt going away soon, this won't happen, there
are pros and cons for using delayed processing so the goal is to
augment the mechanism with inline processing, not replace it.

	cheers
	luigi