Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 14:20:34 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, bright@hotjobs.com, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, bs_13943_34262@adimus.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran in the base system (was Re: sysinstall)

> > I don't know of *ANY* University that teaches Fortran to Comp. Sci
> > students.  Fortran is a dead language, and is only used by engineers
> > that have already existing Fortran code.
>
> As far as I know, new code is definitely being written in Fortran 90.
> I hardly think it qualifies as a dead language yet.

Read what I said.  It is only used by engineers that have already
existing Fortran code.  It doesn't mean new code isn't written, but the
new code that is written tends to be written by folks who already have
written lots of Fortran code.

Very few students know Fortran, unless they are required to learn it to
help our their teachers maintain existing code. :(

Nate