Date:      02 Jan 2006 23:14:10 +0100
From:      "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@schapachnik.com.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Skype on FreeBSD / amd64  - what's the trick?

Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@schapachnik.com.ar> writes:

> En un mensaje anterior, Torfinn Ingolfsen escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to install Skype on my amd64 machine, running FreeBSD
> > 6.0-stable:
> > root@kg-quiet# uname -a
> > FreeBSD kg-quiet.kg4.no 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #1: Thu Dec 22
> > 06:29:24 CET 2005     root@kg-quiet.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/QUIET
> > amd64
> >
> > Looking at the makefile, I could see that the port was supposed to work
> > on both i386 and amd64, adn thought the install would go smoothly.
> > Boy, was I wrong.
> >
> > It seems that the port net/skype depends on graphics/linux_dri, but the
> > latter (linux_dri) is i386 only.
> > So, what's the trick to get Skype installed on amd64?
>
> If you have a 32-bit linux environment in place, just comment the
> i386 only line of the linux_dri Makefile. It worked for me and skype
> works fine.

there seem to be serious problems on many configurations with linux_dri
on amd64;
I just made a symlink  libGL.so.1 -> libX11.so.6
in /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib; this make Skype happy (which
does not seem to need reel GL functionality, just a valid libGL.so.1
to start-up) and prevents my linux-apps which really use GL to bomb.

My $0.02

Arno