Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:33:42 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.2-PRE: switch off that stupid "Nakatomi Socrates"

On Sep 27, 2013, at 3:57 PM, David Demelier wrote:

> On 28.09.2013 00:12, Teske, Devin wrote:
>>=20
>> On Sep 27, 2013, at 3:06 PM, David Demelier wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I have loader_logo=3D"orb" and I still have a message at the right bott=
om
>>> with that stupid joke.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I already responded to this once.
>>=20
>> loader_version=3D""
>>=20
>> See version.4th(8).
>>=20
>>=20
>>> It's really pisses me off *now*.
>>=20
>> Why *now*? I already answered this... (link to archives below)
>>=20
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=3Dhttp://lists.freebsd.org/pi=
permail/freebsd-stable/2013-September/075260.html&k=3D%2FbkpAUdJWZuiTILCq%2=
FFnQg%3D%3D%0A&r=3DLTzUWWrRnz2iN3PtHDubWRSAh9itVJ%2BMUcNBCQ4tyeo%3D%0A&m=3D=
z7tFMIIWxpbu4NUJ6O%2BFBM29y7x%2BpF%2Bsj9kfA1f0JxU%3D%0A&s=3Df2e6eb61a04c40d=
b454a365487d050393168dfb0d53318972e79c38283de3a50
>>=20
>> If you say that you tried this and it didn't work, then by all means...
>> come back (pissed off or not) and we'll debug the situation.
>>=20
>=20
> I already asked a few weeks ago what was this strange artwork on my boot
> loader and I was told to use loader_logo to completely disable it.
>=20
> I've first said that it's funny but I would not recommend to enable it
> by default because it's really not serious and the artwork was really
> immature in the scope of the FreeBSD project.
>=20
> Then I was "happy" because I get my orb as usual. And today, I've
> updated to 9.2-RELEASE SVN tag and saw there was again a message about
> this stupid "Nakatomi Socrates" version in green. So I needed to check
> again *why* this has been enabled by default and that's why it was
> starting to get my nerves.
>=20

The artwork and the name are separate.

The artwork is an RC/Beta easter-egg that disappears at release time.

The ability to display a loader_version however stays.

> I personally think (but you may totally disagree with) that an operating
> system *is* an operating system. And I really hate easter eggs or
> anything else not serious being integrated into the system. I think
> about a new user installing FreeBSD 9.2, I would not imagine his
> reaction front of this kind of "tribute" or whatever you call that. For
> me it stands for "that's not serious, it looks like a toy".
>=20

Only people downloading an RC or a BETA will see the artwork. This
very well could:

1. Drive more people to test RC/BETA cycles
2. Not be an impact to anybody because serious people don't deploy
RC or BETA builds to an enterprise.
3. It makes it very clear when you're using an RC or a BETA versus final

> Fortunately now it's just a "version" but I would really not imagine
> when the screen was looking with the "tribute" loader_logo.
>=20

Some folks have told me that they've permanently enabled the artwork.

Not everybody that uses FreeBSD uses it in a corporate setting. Naturally,
those in a corporate setting will be thankful that final releases won't ever
enable a tribute artwork by-default.

> Seriously, I don't understand why people waste time to create jokes like
> that instead of working on serious issues.
>=20

Actually... I flip that on its head.

If you work seriously on serious issues long enough... you'll become burned-
out. Let me just come right out and say it...

I coded it.

And after 8 years of "always serious" coding on "always serious" projects h=
as
made me a dull boy. This little mini-project gave me something to work on t=
hat
lifted my spirits.

> You may think I'm putting to much significance on this kind of matter
> but I like (and I'm not the only one) serious, clean things.
>=20

Well, maybe the middle ground is that the code is a "seriously clean" thing.
It may not be "serious" but it is indeed "seriously clean."

Cleanliness allows you to add two lines to loader.conf(5) to kill it:

loader_logo=3D"orb"
loader_version=3D""

But if you look closer, you'll see that it's really designed to give you or=
 anybody
else a way to brand the OS.

PC-BSD changes brand.4th(8)
So does NuOS -- self-purported "FreeBSD Distro" (not fork, distro)
At $work, we change beastie.4th(8) and brand.4th(8)

The tribute -- disabled by default -- could be yet another entry-point for =
corporate
customers to brand their boxen for customers.

Example?

Leaving brand.4th(8) alone and just adding a set of tribute functions to pr=
oduce
the custom boot screen if-and-ony-if loader_logo=3Dtribute.

If NuOS had done that... I think it would have been a bit more professional=
 looking
because a tribute screen can completely re-position elements of the screen
whereas they only changed the orb artwork and left everything else the same.

So...

Despite the fact that it may have started out as something less-serious to =
work on
(giving me a break from nearly a decade of hard [serious] work), it is desi=
gned to
be an entry-point for many things -- not just "kidding around".

Now...

You wouldn't want to go telling everybody that works for an *OS* for a deca=
de or
more... "Thou shalt never stray from the path of being uber-serious!"

Come on...

Let us have some fun every now and then.

Because when we do have fun... we often find ways of turning that functiona=
lity into
something great (like the ability to use this for a custom boot screen in a=
 fork or distro).

I agree with you that operating systems are supposed to be serious... but w=
hat about
the operating systems where the volunteers are dedicating double-digit year=
s of their
life to a single project?

FreeBSD has a *lot* of those people. And I would be sad if they didn't have=
 a chance
to have some fun every now and then.

> And the real reason that made me yell like that was that I needed to ask
> / complain a second time to remove that "tribute" thing again.
>=20

Well, I don't think you're going to get the Nakatomi Socrates name removed
from the final 9.2-RELEASE.

After all... how else are people going to know that there's loader_logo=3Dt=
ribute
to play with?

*smiles*

To be honest?

I started coding the ability to add a *version* to the bottom of the boot s=
creen
so many years ago I can't even remember. However... the commit logs show
that I added this ability back in 9.0-RELEASE.

Here we are at 9.2-RELEASE and we're just now starting to use it.

It was *NOT* originally designed to display a *name* but instead a *version=
*.
See "man version.4th" for the full details.

However... I lagged on getting the modifications into loader(8)'s C code th=
at
would actually export the $loader_version variable.

In reality, if you go back to 9.0-RELEASE and add loader_version to loader.=
conf
it will display the value you set.

A cabal approached me about re-purposing it to display a name.

So you see... with respect to displaying text at the bottom right of the bo=
ot screen,
... we didn't have to code *anything*. It was an unused feature slated for =
version-
info (which *still* can be implemented... I'm just [as you say] working ser=
iously on
too many other serious projects to get that in).

>> The person that recommended loader_logo was incorrectly thinking you
>> were talking about the ARTWORK that you get by default in RC1-RC3 which
>> is now non-default (requiring loader_logo=3D"tribute" to enable beyond R=
C3).
>>=20
>> The "named releases" however are staying enabled by default.
>>=20
>> And as I answered in the archives...
>>=20
>> loader_version=3D"whatever you want to name your release"
>>=20
>> or
>>=20
>> loader_version=3D""
>>=20
>> is how you customize the text which seems to piss you off so much.
>>=20
>=20
> Thanks.
>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> I already said it was okay to add a new
>>> logo for that stupid joke. But now, I have orb set and I still see that
>>> in my bootloader.
>>>=20
>>> How can I disable this forever ?!
>>>=20
>>=20
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=3Dhttp://lists.freebsd.org/pi=
permail/freebsd-stable/2013-September/075260.html&k=3D%2FbkpAUdJWZuiTILCq%2=
FFnQg%3D%3D%0A&r=3DLTzUWWrRnz2iN3PtHDubWRSAh9itVJ%2BMUcNBCQ4tyeo%3D%0A&m=3D=
z7tFMIIWxpbu4NUJ6O%2BFBM29y7x%2BpF%2Bsj9kfA1f0JxU%3D%0A&s=3Df2e6eb61a04c40d=
b454a365487d050393168dfb0d53318972e79c38283de3a50
>>=20
>>=20
>>> Also in the future you can just forgot that crappy ideas as you can see,
>>> nobody liked it.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Uh... I'm ignoring that.
>>=20
>=20
> Check again in the lists, I'm not the only one complaining on that.

I'm on 13 lists, and this thread is the only one that I can see where any c=
omplaint has been lodged.

Of course... I imagine that the cabal that commissioned the tribute kept me=
 sheltered from those
that would underride my fervor to code the beast.
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.