Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:10:25 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.0 SCSI Boot

On 27 March 2010, at 13:37, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2010-Mar-26 17:18:30 -0700, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>> I tried to upgrade a 7.2 system to 8.0.  It uses a SCSI drive.  It
>> works fine on 7.2.
>=20
> We will need some more details before we can help you.
>=20
>> However, it would appear that during the upgrade
>> process when running make delete-old (?) there is a note about make
>> delete-old-libs (?).  Don't do that at that point.  End of system.
>> Make installworld fails miserably.
>=20
> You shouldn't run either "make delete-old" or "make delete-old-libs"
> until you have successfully run "make installworld" - the upgrade
> procedure shows delete-old after installworld.  Whilst delete-old will
> just make it harder to revert from a failed upgrade, running
> delete-old-libs will prevent you running installworld.  When you run
> delete-old-libs, it warns you "Please be sure no application still
> uses those libraries, else you can not start such an application."
> One application that needs the old libraries is installworld.

I know that now.  Probably should have before, but didn't figure it out. =
 Not having access to UPDATING made writing the original message a bit =
difficult.  make delete-old was run after make installworld.  When it =
completes it says you can run make delete-old-libs.  That is where I =
made the first mistake.  I believe that message is quite misleading and =
should be removed.  The first failure occurred on mergemaster not make =
installworld.  It died on the second install file.  The error was =
something to the effect that rw on /etc/fstab was invalid and gave the =
sysctl settings to use in boot to get around it.  There was nothing =
other than a reboot possible at that point.  There was no other option.

>=20
>> Unfortunately rebooting caused numerous problems.
>=20
> Given that your installworld had failed - presumably leaving various
> FreeBSD-7.2 files lying around, whilst you deleted the libraries
> required by some of them, this is not surprising.
>=20
>> First the /etc/fstab was listed as corrupt.
>=20
> This is surprising.  Assuming you cleanly rebooted your system, it
> is very unlikely that your /etc/fstab was corrupted and is more likely
> a problem with one of the mount programs.
>=20
> Can you provide the exact error message and what you then did.

that information is long gone.

>=20
>> Then it quit booting altogether.
>=20
> If it rebooted once, there's no reason why it shouldn't reboot a
> second time.  What actions did you take between the two reboots and
> what exactly do you mean by "quit booting"?

It dies in the boot laoder with F1 followed by numeous #s.

>=20
>> A complete reload from the disc 1 goes
>> nowhere either.  It installs just fine but when it goes to reboot,
>> All I get is F1 followed by a bunch of increasing #s.  Any key just
>> adds more to the list.  I have tried with both the standard and
>> FreeBSD boot managers with the same result.
>=20
> At that point, FreeBSD is using the BIOS drivers to access the SCSI
> disk.  If you get the 'F1' prompt then the BIOS is correctly loading
> the boot sector (so it can access the disk) so there is no obvious
> reason why it isn't booting.
>=20
> Do you have a copy of the dmesg from 7.2?  If not, can you give us
> some details about your motherboard (vendor/model), what SCSI
> controller you are using, what targets are attached and what other
> disks (if any) you have.  Are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard?

The 7.2 stuff is long gone.  The disk has been wiped several times.  =
Until I can get past the F1 issue I don't have access to the hardware =
information.  It uses a PS/2 keyboard and is i386 32 bit.  Its an AMD =
processor thats quite old.

>=20
> Can you expand on what you mean by "a complete reload" - did you do a
> full install of FreeBSD 8.0, including partitioning and creating disk
> slices or did you re-use the existing slices?  Are you using a
> "dangerously dedicated" disk?  Were any disk geometry errors reported?

Complete reload means with the live filesystem:

dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da0 bs=3D10240 count=3D100
Boot from Disc 1
Follow the Standard Install option is sysinstall

I have done that 4 times now.  There was a semi-dead ad0 disk in the =
unit.  That has been removed and going through the above one more time =
at this moment.

There were no errors reportd for disk geometry and its not dangerously =
dedicated.  I gave up with that on version 2.7.

This time it worked.  I used the first boot manager entry, not the =
FreeBSD Boot manager and there is no F1 line.  It just boots into =
FreeBSD.  Thats fine since there is only FreeBSD on the machine.  I =
guess something from the ad0 drive was interfering with the boot.  The =
disk was reporting numerous write errors although it could be read fine =
and was only holding archive'd data.  Its loss is insignificant.

I believe the big issue where was the message about make delete-old-libs =
that make delete-old outputs. I had never tried that before and never =
had problems.  This time I decided to try it.  I think that message =
should be removed.