Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 22:29:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Randy <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        smokey@teton.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compilation Problems

On 11-Sep-96 "David A. Stover" wrote:
>>>Randy wrote:
>>

>>     Without your kernel config file it's hard to tell.  Just a guess...
>>
>> The 2842 is a VLB device but is probed as an EISA device ( I got bit
>> by this one myself ) so you must have....
>> controller eisa0
>> in your config.  If it's there... send your config file. It's much easier
>> to diagnose that way.   :)
>> Randy
>
>Randy,
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Enable the eisa line, and the kernel compiled fine, probed AND found the
>controller, and went on to boot the the point of loading root, then:
>
>bio_imask c00004840 tty_imask c0030492 net_mask c0030492
>changing root device to sd1a
>ccd0-3: Concatenated disk drivers
>panic:  cannot load root
>
>Could this be because both the eisa and the ahc0 lines are enabled?  Or
>should I look somewhere else?  Everything else seems to come up fine.
>
>Thanks again.
>Smokey (David A. Stover)

David,

Be assured, you do need both controllers.  It looks like your system is trying
to boot to a 2nd SCSI disk ( sd1 ) while it's configured to boot to the first.
s trying
to boot to a 2nd SCSI disk ( sd1 ) while it's configured to boot to the first.
Can you give more information about your system..ie: how many drives; how
they're partitioned, etc.  If your kernel is on your second disk you can boot
to it at the "boot": prompt by typing sd(1,a)/kernel.  You'll also have to
have

 config		kernel root on sd1

in your kernel config file. (if / is in fact on sd1) Are you able to boot
GENERIC ?  Need more information about your system configuration!

Randy