Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:01:06 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Robert Heezeman <roberth@thycon.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Out of file descriptors"

Robert Heezeman wrote:

> during the boot process the system prematurely stops and comes up with the
> following error and then the # prompt...
>
> "Out of file descriptors"
>
> How can I fix this

There's apparently something running as part of your rc.* scripts that's
eating up all of your file descriptors.

If memory serves me right, this happened to quite a few people after
they upgraded their FreeBSD but didn't update their /etc properly, or
just copied /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf. /etc/rc.conf would
keep calling itself over and over again. The quick solution was to
remove the line in /etc/rc.conf that called itself

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>