Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 01:33:13 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removing perl usage from mergemaster

On 2002-06-05 15:27 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Hello dougb & all,
> >
> > Here's a patch that removes all trails of Perl usage from mergemaster.
>
> Your work looks good, but I wish you'd asked before embarking on it. My
> current plan is actually to import netbsd's stat(1), which will solve this
> problem very neatly. I was hoping to do it sooner than now, but some
> family business, and a dead hard drive interfered with that plan. I am
> reasonably sure that I can get to it tonight.

Nevermind.  Nobody's pushing things.  Whenever you feel like it, and
stat's on its way to our tree, let me know if I can help with
mergemaster & the removal of perl.

> NetBSD's stat(1) is very feature rich, compiles cleanly on -current, and
> handled all the stuff I threw at it in semi-rigorous testing. I can't
> imagine anyone objecting to the import, but here's your chance.

Nah.  No direct src/ stuff for me, except for the occasional manpage
fix.  I'll probably wait until NetBSD's stat is imported, and retry.
In the meantime, I'll try to test NetBSD's stat, or even come up with
a few regression tests for NetBSD's stat.  jmallett seems to like
adding such things to our tree.  Then perhaps, after stat is tested,
we can re-hack mergemaster ;)

Giorgos.