Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 23:04:35 -0800
From:      Mark Diekhans <markd@grizzly.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        tony@hornet.netac.co.za, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sco filesystems ?

>> I was just wondering what sort of filesystem sco usually distributes
>> on install floppies.  I have a set that I'd like to install and try
>> out, but can't mount until I know...
>
>They are not mountable file systems.  They are cpio archives.

If they are per 3.2.5 custom format, they are tar archives.  They
may also be using the SCO magic compress flag.  If this flag is set in
the tar header for a file and the file is compressed, SCO tar will
uncompress it.  On other systems, the files will be extracted without
compression, but without a .Z extension.  Use gunzip to uncompress, as
they might be compressed with SCO -H option.

Mark