Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:09:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <dev-null@no-id.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Web Browsers (is there hope?)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Mark Rowlands wrote:

> snip......
>

> <ducks flames>
>
> konqueror  runs nicely (well better than netscape anyway)  for me and manages
> a reasonable level of java functionality.....if such a thing exists
>
> </ducks flames>

No flames from me!

I've tried 'em all and Konqueror is the best Unix browser I've found.
I haven't even upgraded to the 2.2 release yet. 2.0 was bad, but
2.1 is really a nice browser.

I get occasional wierdnesses, but not many at all. Occasionally, you'll
get a core dump on exiting the File Manager, but that's not a big deal
(after all, you're done with it then!) and I've seen a web page where the
input statements in a form asking for a number wouldn't recognize the
input, but that was only one page and I suspect it was some
non-standard wierdness in the page code. I've seen some really
wierd pages run just fine. Stuff that would blow Netscape off your
system seems to work.

Feature-wise, it's just great for anyone maintaing a network. You
can have FTP open on one pane, HTTP in another, your home directory
in another, and even pop open a terminal pane that is dragged along
with the GUI as you go from directory to directory.

I checked hits on my web page the other day and Konqueror was #2
to IE. Of course, that's not saying much. IE is about 99% on my
page. I think it was 317 hits for IE, 7 for Konqueror, 4 for
Netscape and 1 for Scooter.

Jim Durham