Date:      07 Dec 1999 02:14:34 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        Egervary Gergely <mauzi@faber.poli.hu>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom speed adjustment ioctl

Egervary Gergely <mauzi@faber.poli.hu> writes:
>> I've just hacked a new ioctl into the ATAPI cdrom driver, which
>> lets the user to specify (pronounce: ``slow down'' :) the speed
>> of todays' extremely high speed drives.
>
>ok, so i see you like the idea - so the question is: should we implement a
>new ioctl for it, or - as like scsi - should we use a program like
>camcontrol for it?

	One solution I used in the past (Amiga) was to implement the
ATA (and ATAPI) support by writing the equivalent of SCSI CAM SIM;
that is a SIM that actually controlled IDE hardware instead of SCSI
hardware.  This is quite easy, in fact, especially since ATAPI is
basically SCSI-over-IDE with a few twists.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com