Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2017 14:38:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Polytropon" <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "Alejandro Imass" <aimass@yabarana.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [OT] two birds with one stone :)

On Fri, August 25, 2017 1:38 pm, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 10:23:36 -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>> I am amazed at how large companies have blindly bought into Amazon AWS
and don't even realize how outrageously expensive it becomes when you
actually do scale.

> It isn't obvious in regards of management and decision skills,
> and it doesn't matter in the _current_ quarter. Additionally,
> paying qualified and motivated system operations personnel
> (like system administrators or programmers) costs the "wrong"
> kind of money. That's why it matters what you spend money on.
> Expensive stuff "as a service" - material costs, they send us
> an invoice, and we can deduct it from our taxes, or we simply
> raise our prices and let the stupid consumer pay the price.
> Employees - personnel costs, no no, that just pollutes our
> balance and lets us look as if we can't deal with money. And
> we are a growth-oriented startup with $500M investment, so
> it doesn't really matter...
>
> That's why paying money for expensive services that do not
> scale is "money well spent". :-)
>

>> Orders of magnitude higher than the cost and risk
>> of real sysadmins and real hardware.
>
> But that forces a company to deal with real assets which do
> physically exist, and it forces them to recognize their
> social responsibilities regarding their workforce.

Well, outsourcing services to external companies is very familiar trend
wherever Microsoft brew bunch takes over top IT positions in the
organization...

>> Most applications are being
>> developed around RDS, SQS and all the other packaged services that AWS
offers, and certified AWS TechOps dudes are becoming evermore stupid
Amazon drones....  which is getting these companies in a vendor lock
situation that I hadn't seen since the 80's.

> Correct! This creates a new kind of "certified consultants" who
> firstly make the big bucks, but then, the price declines until
> they become a cheap commodity, but there is no way back.
>

>> It's like Microsoft all
>> over again but now using the very same Open Source technology that we
helped build all these years.

> But it comes with lots of marketing-speak BS and green traffic
> lights, so it must be the only way to go, right? ;-)

This thread chimes in unison with what was implied in one thread on
another mail list where someone mentioned mariadb fork and similar...

Valeri