Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 20:28:05 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Elfkit-1.0.1 announcement

> > Elfkit is a collection of tools for compiling and executing ELF
> > programs under FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE and later.  It consists of:
> >
> >     * Patches for gcc-2.7.2, to make it support ELF under FreeBSD.
> >     * Patches for binutils-2.6, to make it support ELF under FreeBSD.
> Does this mean that with ELF, we could use a current version of gas with
> patches?  If so, this is the best reason to use ELF I have heard yet!

Yes, that's right.  It uses the latest versions of gcc, gas, and gld,
and they seem to work just fine, with full support for both building and
linking against shared libraries.

Incidentally, for FreeBSD's a.out format, shared library support
is the biggest thing that's missing from binutils-2.6.  I looked into
adding it a while back, but it would take quite a bit of work.  Skirting
the issue by working on ELF instead was waaaaaay more fun :-).

-- John