Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:51:11 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, developers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

> >Note, some of the performance issues were made better by disabling the
> >TCP newreno implementation, but it's still poor and very inconsistent
> >for hosts not on the local network, while the Linux box next to it gets
> >much more consistent results.
>
> For what it's worth I have disabled newreno at my customer sites as well
> and felt and heard less "bogosity" since.

It's actually pretty awful.  However, even with the fix I merged back
into RELENG_4, the performance with/without newreno is still *much*
worse (in terms of consistantly giving the same results) than the code
in FreeBSD 3.x.

The interesting thing is that the application that's getting the most
press is one of our field technicians downloading a file over anonymous
ftp by hand, so it's not like we're generating tons of traffic, or
alot of parallel connections.

The connections hang, abort, and those that complete have numbers that
are *all* over the map.  However, when connected to a Linux box on the
same network, none of these bad things occur. :(

(And, we've verified the network is up by running ping in another
window.)

Nate