Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:41:16 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Craig Harding <crh@outpost.co.nz>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supporting MS IE (was Re: NatWest? no thanks)

Paul Robinson wrote:
> Standards are a Good Thing. Like it or not, IE has become a standard - 98%
> of the potential customers for any site are likely to have access to it
> (even if it's not their preferred browser). As a result, to reduce
> dev. costs we'll develop for MS IE as our target browser.
>
> Now, instead of moaning about how IE doesn't do this, or doesn't follow this
> standard, perhaps, just perhaps, we should put some development effort into
> Mozilla and other browsers to make them IE compatible. At this point, it is
> the OSS development community's job to make user's switch by giving them a
> similar browser experience to IE but without any of the nasty stuff (like it
> crashing, Passport stuff, etc.). We're a long way from there, but to say we
> shouldn't start out is ridiculous.

Cool idea.

Are you going to license the MSIE trademark so that it can be
used by Mozilla and other browsers, since that's what's necessary
to make them report that they are IE?

Alternately, we'd be happy to run IE, if it ran on our platform,
so are you going to do the port?  The Port from MacOS X should
not be hard, it's just a matter of converting the UI code.

-- Terry