Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:34:33 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool and corrupt file

On 2020-03-27 11:57, Jerry wrote:
> FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p7
>
> Running "zpool status -v" generates the following error message:
>
> # zpool status -v
>     pool: zroot
>     state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
>             corruption.  Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
>              entire pool from backup.
>      see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
>    scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:31:43 with 0 errors on Fri Mar 27
> 14:42:22 2020 config:
>
>          NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>             zroot         ONLINE       0     0     0
>               ada0p4   ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>
>          zroot/ROOT/default:<0x28422>
>
> Now, I have no idea what file it is referencing so I have no idea how
> to correct this problem, if there even is one. I have run, "zpool scrub
> zroot" but it apparently did not correct the problem. My question is
> should I even worry about this? It does not appear to be causing me any
> problems.

I assume ada0 is your system disk and you installed via "Auto (ZFS)"?

Unrack and rack the drive or tray, if racked.  Remove and install drive
from tray, if in tray.  Disconnect and reconnect the drive power and
data cables in chassis.  Use cables with locking connectors, if
available.  Make sure all connections are fully seated and/or locked.
Make sure your bus adapter, data cable, rack, and/or tray are all rated
for the same data speed, and it is at least as high as the data speed of
the drive.

If problems persist, download your disk manufacturer's diagnostic tool
and start testing different ports, different cables, different racks,
different trays, and different drives to isolate hardware problems or
verify everything is good:

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=2

If problem persist, reply to list with problem description(s) and
console session with the following commands:

# freebsd-version ; uname -a

# geom disk list ada0

# zpool list zroot

# zpool status -v zroot