Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:46:48 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        oleg@rinet.ru
Subject:   re driver trobles (RELENG_5)

Dear colleagues,

experimenting with new amd64-based router we found strange re(4) behaviour
when working in autoselect media mode:

whenever promisc mode turned on, renegotiating occurs, leading to 3 to 45
(depending on STP settings on the switch) network unavailability.

Moreover, some other re(4) setting changes seem to disturb link state
unneededly (such as ifconfig re0 -vlanhwtag)

The most annoying fact is that we non-autonegotiating mode with our re and
D-Link gigabit switches: fixing media at 1000BaseTX leads to link down
regardless of master/slave settings on both sides; on re side it is even
undocumented.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,