Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 13:01:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Barnacle Wes <wes@intele.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wes@intele.net, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: 2 (or more) LAN interface on SAME subnet ?

Terry Lambert said:

> If I have a wire named 137.190.32, I can have two wires named
> 137.190.32 with a bridge between them.

Yep.

> If I have a FreeBSD box as the bridge, then the two network interfaces
> are connected to different wires, but the *same* subnet.

Nope, can't do it.  FreeBSD cannot be the bridge.  Each network interface
has to be connected to an IP network (including subnet) that is unique
to the machine.

> I think you mean that you aren't alled to hook two cards in the
> same machine to the same wire.  THAT makes sense.

Sure you can, if you are running two different IP networks on the
same wire.  It doesn't necessarily make sense, but it will work.

I know, our mutual ex-employer is doing this with FreeBSD 2.0.5
because they don't want to take the time to un-subnet all their
machines now that they have a physical network that works!
(I.e., one designed by me!)

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder