Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:34:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        dufault@hda.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #include file xref philosophy

> Frankly it is painful. Include files should not break their encapsulation.
> include/netinet/*.h are frightful. As a bunch of other things when
> -DKERNEL is on. Next time you are writing/modifying an include file, please
> keep this in mind. Not having an include file resolve its own dependencies
> saves you nothing, but an open(), during CPP. I don't care if possix
> says its sometimes ok. Posix is wrong.

I agree.  POSIX screws up in a number of places.  Mandating update times
for the getdents() interface (or mandating the getdents interface at all
for that matter) is another example.  Lack of a definite interface for
setting file size up or down (ftruncate/fcntl-based) is yet another.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.