Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2016 22:37:48 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Vale port naming

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 11:29:31AM +0000, Matt Churchyard via freebsd-net w=
rote:
> From the little information I can find on the net it seems that valeX:Y i=
s the format for a port on a vale switch.
> Some examples use vale0:1, others use a letter such as valeA:0. The only =
details I can find is a vague reference to a 15/16? character limit, althou=
gh I don't know whether that applies to just the first part of the whole th=
ing.
>=20
> Can anyone clarify the valid format for a vale switch/port?
> Is there any length or character restriction on X & Y?

According to the vale.4 manpage:

        vale ports are named vale[bdg:][port] where vale is the prefix
        indicating a VALE switch rather than a standard interface, bdg
        indicates a specific switch (the colon is a separator), and port
        indicates a port within the switch.  Bridge and port names are
        arbitrary strings, the only constraint being that the full name
        must fit within 16 characters.

The manpage is confusing in that the name must be 15 characters plus the
NUL character.  Given the other limits, it looks like bdg can be up to 8
characters in practice.

-- Brooks

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Dvale&sektion=3D4&apropos=3D0&ma=
npath=3DFreeBSD+10.1-RELEASE