Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:56:52 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount on non-empty directories (Was: sysinstall creates corruptfilesystems after repartitioning)

Mike Meyer wrote:
> In <008101c75cd1$42a4df10$b3db87d4@multiplay.co.uk>, Steven Hartland
> This is just a special case of mounting on a non-empty directory. It
> should work right. The last mounted file system is the one you get
> (unless you're using a file system that's designed to behave another
> way). If you unmount the directory, the last mounted device is
> unmounted.

This makes sence but is not what happens hence the confusion. If
the last mounted FS is the one you get that makes sence but in
this case thats not what I observed.

> As a general rule, deciding that something is "useless and dangerous"
> and removing it isn't the Unix way of doing things. Just because you
> can't see a use for something doesn't mean that no one else
> will. That's true even if you wrote the code. Someone doing something
> with your program you never thought of is a sign that you developed a
> generally useful tool. As for dangerous, Unix users - especially root,
> and mount is restricted to root by default - are assumed to know what
> they're doing.

Appreciated but the issue I'm trying to understand is that the result
didn't make any sence i.e. ls returned the files but trying to run
them didnt work. Result my head started to spin a bit :P As mentioned
this seemed to easily resolved by force unmounting the second device
but as has been explained this has a clear use for which I was unaware
but I'd still like to understand by I saw what I did i.e. ls
displayed the files yet running vim didnt.

I'm going to investigate this more in an effort to determine why I
got these results and report back. Thanks for everyone's feedback
so far most appreciated.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.