Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 02:16:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No pre- or post-deinstall target?

Ernst de Haan wrote:

> > this could be done using @unexec at the beginning of the pkg-plist file
> > such as :
> >
> > @unexec [ -e /var/run/orion.pid ] && { echo killing orion.; kill `cat /var/run/orion.pid`; rm -f /var/run/orion.pid; }
>
> What would be the advantage of this? Isn't the pkg-deinstall the better
> approach since it is simple and easy to grasp?

in this case, a pkg-deinstall script take an unneeded inode
in the CVS tree. and I know that we have to take care about this.
so, pkg-install/deinstall script have to be created only when really
needed. that is, when they can't be reduced to a only line script.

> > an alternative would be to use killall such as :
> >
> > @unexec echo killing orion.; killall orion; rm -f /var/run/orion.pid
>
> Nah, in this case it won't work, since the name of the process is `java', not
> `orion' :)

game over, shot again :P

PS : your signature is too long.

Cyrille.