Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:30:24 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz>
To:        Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>, Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh fix

# ertr1013@student.uu.se / 2004-11-12 04:11:22 +0100:
> The only real problem with having bash as /bin/sh is that people tend
> to write scripts using bash-specific features and forget that such
> scripts are not portable to systems using a less powerful /bin/sh.

    Or the other way around. Bash (at least the one from RHEL 3.0) is
    seriously broken, these two things are more than it can handle (as
    opposed to our /bin/sh):

    $(case $foo in
      x) do_x;;
      y) do_y;;
    esac)

    out=`mktemp ...`
    $otherscript >$out 2&1

    where $otherscript contains

    $(x | tee /dev/stderr | y)

    I stumbled upon these when I was porting periodic(8) to RHEL. So, my
    description would be that people run into problems when they write
    scripts using sh-specific features and forget that such scripts are
    not portable to systems using a less powerful bash. ;)