Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:44:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        "Harondel J. Sibble" <help@pdscc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recommended wireless nic for building access point

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Harondel J. Sibble wrote:

> Basically, I want a unit with an easily chaneable antenna that is cheap.
> Ideally it should be supported under the 3 oses I use FreeBSD 4.5, Linux and
> Win2k.  However if it only works under FreeBSD, that would be okay as it will
> be used for building an access point.

There are several different antenna connectors.  Check out

http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/Prism2Card

Of the three types of cards I've used, the D-Link DWL-650 antenna is
fixed ($40), the Orinoco Silver is removable (about $65), and the Proxim
RangeLAN-DS 8434 is removable (about $40-$60).  The last card is winging
its way to Warner because I haven't managed to get it to work on
FreeBSD.  Nice card otherwise, though. 8-)