Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 01:08:48 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

"f.johan.beisser" wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> this is not always very convienent. i have ONE dual booting machine, my
> laptop. this also happens to be one of two machines that runs win2k.

Laptops are an incredibly common "dual boot" case, from
my experience.

> > Additionally, no production system can be a dual-boot system, since
> > production systems by nature are up 24 hours a day.
>
> i don't think anyone has disputed this. production systems are, by nature,
> single OS/single purpose machines (that's my own choice, and my own
> philosphy.. it makes locking a machine down easier..).

People don't have their first experience with FreeBSD
with the installation of a production system.  People
who install production systems are generally computing
professionals, and I would count them out of the target
market for one-off installs, in any case, which is what
we are talking about here.

Could someone else send the comment in on the consent
decree public comment period (ends Monday; see SlashDot)
that ther should be a requirement that the space on the
disk should be divided such that either user data, or
another OS, can be installed on all machines, or that
Microsoft should be required to provide partition
shrinking tools that can be operated via addition of a
.bat file in the / directory?

-- Terry