Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:47:38 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, <crh@outpost.co.nz>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> >> Yes.  It required the ability to wield what is called "monopolistic
> >> power" in the marketplace.  If you can wield this power, you can
> >> subvert normal free-market pressures, and by subverting, ignore them.
> >
> >	Then why is it that not one single clear example of this
> has ever been
> >found? This must be some extreme usage of the word "possible".
> >

> Then what would you call M$ requiring all machines sold by OEMs to have
> Windows pre-installed, when OS/2 and DOS were viable alternatives, and
> OS/2 may have been superior?
>
> -jm

	It's not an example of the adoption of a lesser technology unless OS/2
actually _is_ superior. Since it only "may have been", this is not a clear
example. Read over the full thread of what I said (cited above).

	And this is really only logical. If OS/2 had been clearly superior, many
OEMs would have refused Microsoft's terms, preferring to sell only the
superior technology to the inferior one. Wouldn't you think?

	DS