Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 13:52:00 -0500
From:      dpoland@execpc.com
To:        jfb@visi.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting FreeBSD and W2k

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 10:22:46AM -0500, James Felix Black wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering how best to boot both FreeBSD (4.1) and Windows
2000.
> > It seems that 2000 interferes with any and all boot managers (go
> > figure!), and short of booting off of floppy, my BSD system
appears > > to be unreachable.

> > Is booting off of floppy my only recourse?  If so, is there a
> > document that details what I will have to do to create a custom
> > boot floppy?
> >

> Someone mentioned (here on -questions I think) a long time ago that
> the W2K boot manager worked the same way as the NT one and they had
> NT, W2K, and FreeBSD all booting from the W2K boot menu.
>
> I can't find the post anymore (I had kept a copy) but if you look at
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN2138 it may help. Also
> http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/multi-os/index.html

This may not help you, but I gave up and bought PartitionMagic.  It
comes with BootMagic that replaces both WinNT/FBSD boot managers and
allows multi-os booting.  One reason I choose this was because I
failed
to create a / partion for FBSD that was under 1024 cylinder barrier.
had to re-partition my HD and didn't want to re-install Win2k and all
the junk that goes along with it.  My partion scheme turned out to
be:
	FAT16:	50MB - BootMagic needs a DOS partion to store it's stuff
	UFS:	50MB - / partition for FBSD 4.0
	NTFS:	8GB  - just barely enough room ;)
	UFS:	3GB  - /usr  /var  /swap for FBSD

HTH