Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 2014 18:58:55 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Bill Sorenson <instructionset@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.1 PPC64 on XServe G5 hangs at Openfirmware Loader [likely an example of a long standing problem]

Also for my non-XServe context: buildworld, kernel, installworld from =
source always worked for every 10.x-STABLE that I tried it with (up to =
known, intermittent boot-time issues on PowerMac G5s). 10.1-RELEASE too. =
(I've not tried 10.1-STABLE yet.) The same for using the .txz files and =
MANIFEST file with "bsdinstall auto" to create media from an already =
working FreeBSD powerpc64 context.

(I've updated a couple of different ways: using the .txz files and =
MANIFEST file with "bsdinstall auto" vs. svn based. I normally use svn =
based these days both both were reliable whenever I've tried them.)

But to get powerpc64 started I used 10.0-RELEASE's .iso as I remember. =
After that for .iso's I just was checking if the .iso status had =
changed. (Summarizing much history: It was my first FreeBSD use.)

The powerpc (non-64) .iso's work fine in the same PowerMac G5s but I =
wanted to allow the G5's to use the extra memory that was in place. (But =
that extra memory may be tied to the powerpc64's intermittent boot-time =
issues for PowerMac G5s. I've never tried <=3D 4GB but others have =
reported the extra memory as required to see the intermittent boot =
problems.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net