Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/10626: RTC BIOS diagnostic error on install

The following reply was made to PR i386/10626; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc: cfr@pobox.com, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, faq@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:49:49 -0700

 I was finally able to boot the install disks from floppy and proceed with
 the installation by disabling the parallel port controller ppc0 in the
 visual kernel configuration.

 I tried disabling all other unused devices except ppc0 (keeping only fdc0,
 wdc0, wdc1, ppc0, atkbd0, and sc0 -- I also have the PCI-based fxp0 but you
 can't disable that without removing the card) and the problem still existed
 (even though the visual kernel configuration stated there were no
 conflicts). When I disabled ppc0 it worked. I'm able to boot the system by
 disabling _only_ ppc0.

 After installing, I need to disable ppc0 automatically otherwise the boot
 would hang with the same error as originally described (except it changed to
 the boot disk instead of fd0).

 To automatically disable ppc0, I did the following (mostly just documenting
 this in case someone else runs into the same problem):

 1. At the boot prompt, enter "boot -c".

 2. At the "config>" prompt, enter "visual" to enter the visual kernel
 configuration editor.

 3. Disable ppc0.

 4. Once the system has booted, log in as root.

 5. Verify that /kernel.config contains the following lines,

      di ppc0

 6. Move /kernel.config to /boot/kernel.conf

      % mv /kernel.config /boot/kernel.conf

 7. Create /boot/loader.rc and add the following lines verbatim.

      load /kernel
      load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
      autoboot

 8. Then reboot.

 I still don't know that the original problem was (and now I can't use the
 parallel port). Can this information be added to the FAQ, handbook, or
 ERRATA.TXT file?

 Steps 6 and 7 are in the ERRATA.TXT file on the FTP site, but there's no
 mention of a problem with ppc0.

 Is there some known problem with ppc0? I can't seem to find a hardware
 conflict.

 Charles