Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 06:34:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        K.Oikonomakos@brad.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore after filesystem layout changes

On 01-Dec-2002 K.Oikonomakos@brad.ac.uk wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 10:40:58AM -0600, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> Ok, now on to my question: I'd like to do a full backup on each of my
>> filesystems, zap all the partitions and do a new fdisk/disklabel with
>> more filesystems than I'm currently using.  For example, create a new
>> /home partition instead of using a symlink in / to /usr/home.
>>
>> I'm just wondering if this will present any problems when restoring from
>> backups.  I can't seem to glean this information from the man pages.
>
> Well it is going to work as long as the directory structure is not
> changed.
> But you will have to be extra carefull with your permissions when you
> backup/restore your files. (what are you going to use for backup?
> dump/restore?)

Yes, I'll be restoring from the backups I just finished making yesterday
using dump/restore (with an ATAPI CD burner, no less; still in awe of
that!).  :-)

I'm thinking it *should* work OK, as long as, as you said, I'm careful with
permissions, and make sure everything gets restored to the right locations
under the new filesystem layout.  I figure mtree(8) should be helpful with
this.

The main reason I want to do this, besides to reclaim some wasted space
from having /, /var, and /tmp partitions that are larger than I really
need, is to make incremental backups easier later on (again, now that I can
finally use dump/restore with my __ATAPI__ CD burner).  :-)

I'll report back later as to how it all went.  Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone's curious as to how I got my CD burner to work with
dump/restore, just let me know.  It was really simple actually.  I'm
running 5.0-CURRENT, by the way, but you -stable users definitely have
something to look forward to very soon (if it hasn't already been MFC'ed).
:-)

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>