Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:22:11 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Our routed - Vern says it's old and buggy.

>     I consider ISIS dead these days, though I'm sure there are people who
>     still swear by it.

As far as I know, there is *active* development of IS-IS these days, see
for instance:

  "IS-IS Optimized Multipath (ISIS-OMP)", Tony Li, Curtis Villamizar,
  02/23/1999, <draft-ietf-isis-omp-01.txt,.ps>

  "IS-IS extensions for Traffic Engineering", Tony Li, Henk Smit,
  02/02/1999, <draft-ietf-isis-traffic-00.txt>

  "L1/L2 Optimal IS-IS Routing", Antoni Przygienda, Ajay Patel, 02/19/1999,
  <draft-ietf-isis-l1l2-00.txt>

  "Domain-wide Prefix Distribution with Multi-Level IS-IS", Tony Li,
  02/26/1999, <draft-ietf-isis-domain-wide-00.txt>

Tony Li (Juniper, ex Cisco) is the head of this particular working group.

Also, it's used by some rather big backbone providers.

PS: No, this is not meant to start a flame war/discussion about the merits
and demerits of various routing protocols. We use OSPF as an IGP ourselves.