Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Atipa wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > Atipa stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Any news on the following high-demand technologies?
> > >
> > > Universal Serial Bus (USB)
> > > 	http://www.usb.org (503)264-0590
> > > 	Modular, _Powered_ I/O w/ neato hubs
> > > 	12Mbit/sec, up to 127 devices
> >
> > There are several developers working on this.  IMHO USB is an abomination
> > with "Job Security" written on almost every page of the spec. 8(
>
> Ha. I see no NEED for USB; only added convenience.  It would be easier to
> deal with than a cyclades! If a good API were present, it would be a nice
> "geek-port" type of interface.
>
> This type of interface, if well supported, would make computers EASIER. I
> know that is not the main concern of people in this group (who are oviously
> technically adept), but it is still a noble goal. One that is especially
> appreciated by those of us in the support industry! :)
>
> > > Intel 430TX Chipset / PIIX3 Controller
> > > 	built-in UltraDMA IDE (33MByte/sec)
> > > 	support for SDRAM
> > > 	built-in USB
> >
> > All of these either require no support, are already supported, or have been
> > discussed above.
>
> I do not believe UltraDMA is supported. The PIIX3 is quite a bit
> different than the PIIX2, with the RTC and USB built in.

UltraDMA is starting to get support.  New drives by Quantum are now
starting to have Ultra DMA/33.

> > > DVD CD-ROMs and hardware decoders
> > How are they different from "normal" CD-ROMs?
>
> They require hadware decoders. The cinema and audio industries freaked
> out when they saw the potential for digital duplicates. DVD is encrypted
> on the media and passed through a decoder. I am certainly no expert, but
> it does require additional hardware support, above and beyond the host
> interface.
>
> Kevin

Shoppers Network (Support)      AMD K5/K6s, Cyrix 6x86, Intel Pentiums/Pro
Phone: (415) 759-8584           Email: howard@shoppersnet.com
==============================> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com