Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 2021 06:06:56 -0500
From:      D'Arcy Cain <darcy@druid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade to 12.2 and permission weirdness

I recently upgraded FreeBSD to 12.2.  Everything seems fine except for
some odd permission thing when running from cron.  For example I have a
script that dumps my clients' MySQL databases which gives me this email
every morning:

  ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'darcy'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)

Yet when I run the same command from the command line it works fine.  I
get a similar problem on another server with my PostgreSQL database
under another user but when I switch that cron job to my user it does
work.

I suspect something related to effective vs. real UIDs and identd but
nothing changed in the setup after the upgrade.  Any ideas for what to
look for?

Cheers.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves
+1 416 788 2246     (DoD#0082)    (eNTP)   |  what's for dinner.

Disclaimer: By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you
are agreeing that:

1.  I am by definition, "the intended recipient".
2.  All information in the email is mine to do with as I see
    fit and make such financial profit, political mileage, or
    good joke as it lends itself to. In particular, I may quote
    it where I please.
3.  I may take the contents as representing the views of
    your company if I so wish.
4.  This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
    confidentiality that may be included or implied in
    your message.