Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 16:14:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <peter@mutsaers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching to FreeBSD from Windows

It is simply a matter of comfort.  When the OS tells you everything, with
a magical paperclip guy you get use to not having to learn something
before trying to do it.

Coming from DOS to Unix is one thing, but a GUI based system to a
command-line heavy system which does not aspire to be a desktop system
does not make for the most helpful newbie environment.

If that is not what you want to hear, consider that FreeBSD is a server
OS, not a desktop OS.

And has been mentioned in many articles over the last couple of months,
FreeBSD is trying to be positioned to be the big brother to Linux.  Once
someone is ready for a mature Unix-like system, they can move up to
FreeBSD.

Besides, if he attempts to run FreeBSD at home and cannot get PPP or any
networking to work, how can he consult with this mailing list?  Linux
distros offer around the clock phone support for the cost of the CDs.

And Linux is not all that horrible.  At least it is not a MS product.

As for IQ...

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/98oct/19981009.html

:)

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?