Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:07:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   massive SMP problems ...

Within the last thee weeks I did many changes on our central server
and some of them seems not to be very "cure" to them. The first change
was to exchange the older Adaptec 2940U2W against a two channel LSI Logik
21040 (64 Bit PCI connector, but fits and works with PCI 32). I changed
the appropriate things for the new controller in the kernel. Then I changed
console driver from VT to SC. I installed "option VESA" into the kernel
config file although the system is a SMP machine and I read in the past,
I think it was FBSD 3.x, that VESA and SMP turns into problems. Then
i "cleaned" up the kernel config file, I pulled out some config options
which seems to be "tweaking parameters to come alongside with "GENERIC"
and an optimized config without ballast. Then, several days ago, I made
the first cvsupdate and today the same. The end of the story is, that
our server is very instable. Sometimes I get obscure errors about not
working gcc, cpp ends up with a fatal error 11. The changes in the kernel
seems not to be subject of suspicion, I think. It's really small, except
the change VT -> SC code.

I try now to extract the VESA code and leave the kernel without it to
see what happens.

At this stage I would like to ask the FBSD community whether there are
still known problems with SMP systems and some kernel facilities?
the other question is about LSI Logik 21040 controller vs. Adaptec
2940U2W controller. It seems, as of my point of view, that the LSI Logik
is a little bit slower than the Adaptec controller (I did not change
the drives, they are still 80MB/s LVD IBM drives).

thanks for some hints or kicks ...

-
MfG
O. Hartmann