Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 22:36:13 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        amg <ursa@cris.com>
Cc:        Bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord is now broke

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 21:21:17 -0400, amg wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
>    Don't shoot the messenger ....
>
>    With the change, in 4.1, to all character
>    special files, the utility/package cdrecord
>    is now broke.
>
>    Attacted is the output of a script, and the
>    script itself, that I used extensively with
>    2.2.8.
>
>    I have the bad feeling that cdrecord is not
>    the only utility that is now broken.

The SCSI subsystem was completely overhauled in FreeBSD 3.0.  Anything that
used SCSI passthrough in 2.2.x must be ported to the new CAM SCSI
subsystem.  (cdrecord has been ported, and it appears that you're using a
version of cdrecord compiled on FreeBSD 4.1.)

It looks like you may have one or two problems.  First, don't use the
'devname' syntax for telling cdrecord which device you want to talk to.

Instead of using dev=/dev/rcd0.ctl:0,4,0 just use: dev=0,4,0

> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> cdrecord: Invalid argument. Open by 'devname' not supported on this OS. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
> Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i386-unknown-freebsd4.1) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
> scsidev: '/dev/rcd0.ctl:0,4,0'
> devname: '/dev/rcd0.ctl'
> scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0

You also need to make sure you have the pass device in your kernel, that
you have enough pass devices created in /dev for *every* SCSI device in the
system.  You also need to make sure that whatever user that is going to be
using cdrecord has read and write permission on /dev/pass*.

You also should make sure you've got the following options in your kernel
config file, so the posix scheduler stuff can work:

options		P1003_1B		#Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options		_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING

I'm not sure whether the scheduler warnings you're getting from cdrecord
are due to not having the posix scheduler code in your kernel, or whether
it's because you aren't running with root.

If you still get the errors with the kernel options in, try running as
root.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry