Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:18:23 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, wpub1@triton.net
Subject:   Re: Can't "make buildworld"

Bruce Evans wrote:
> The top level is supposed to do very little, so that the files in
> /usr/share/mk are good enough.  The point I'm concerned about is that
> when -I is used to force use of src/share/*.mk for building `make',
> it may give a conflicting set of .mk files - sys.mk from /usr/share/mk
> and everything else source-relative.  At least one other bug has crept
> in: the source-relative files are not used at all for bootstrapping
> mtree.

The problem reported was the evaluation of MACHINE_ARCH (in src/Makefile)
on i386 which is set in sys.mk because historically FreeBSD's make has not
had this compiled in despite the fact that the source supports it. So
testing MACHINE_ARCH in src/Makefile without using /usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk
results in MACHINE_ARCH being undefined and the build blows up before it
gets to build make or anything else.

It was my recent addition of the MACHINE_ARCH test in src/Makefile that
(a) allowed src/Makefile to build world on alpha; and (b) caused the build
world on oldish systems to fail. In this case, I don't think the make ever
gets to the point of being able to make 'make' - with or without the -I.

I guess the conclusion then is that the top level is doing too much.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137