Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:01:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Knapp <dknapp@luciamar.k12.ca.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey

On Monday,  5 October 1998 at 12:52:14 +0000, David Knapp wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is going to be an update to this book to
> include changes to ver 3?

Yes.  There won't be an update, at least not in the next 6 months.

> If so, is there an estimated date for availability.  If not, would I
> be best off just buying the 2.2.x version of the book.  I'm using
> 2.2.6, but am thinking about upgrading to ver 3 when it comes out.

It's a good idea to upgrade to 3.0 as soon as it's stable.  The book
will help you there as well; it was designed to be as little
release-specific as possible.  From a usage point of view, there will
be very little difference (minor things like the layout of the CDs,
supported hardware and a couple of different kernel options, which
I'll describe in an update to the addenda).  When I get round to a new
edition, it'll be primarily for other purposes, such as rewriting
hard-to-understand sections, adding material and removing the
expensive man pages.

Greg