Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:20:12 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   netstat uses signed numbers for traffic counting?

I'm kind of curious as to whether theres a reason that netstat uses signed
numbers for keeping track of the number of bytes that have been
sent/received.  Quite honestly it would make more sense to me (unless
there's actually a reason for it) to use an unsigned number.  Here's the
edited output for a machine I admin (edited for some clarity sake):

Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs     Ibytes
de0   1500  <Link>00.00.c0.c5.6e.d5       39360140     7 -1838703748

Note the Ibytes value.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu