Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:36:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Rod Ebrahimi <rode@directhost.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: security

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Rod Ebrahimi wrote:

> How is it possible to deny FTP users the priviledge to move or even see
> other users directories? IE... user: foobar, has the ftp home directory
> /home/foobar/ and accidently moves up a directory into the /home
> directpry although he/she may noot be able to cause any distruction how
> can I remedy this?
>
> Thank you...

  This does not belong on hackers.  Anything that is in the manual does
not belong on hackers.

  Anyhow, see manpage on ftpd in regards to chroot support.  There are a
couple of ways of doing it.  I do it via a login class.

  You probably want to re-build ftpd with internal ls support to facilate
chroot operation.

Tom