Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 20:45:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        cjohnson@neunacht.netgsi.com (Christopher T. Johnson)
Cc:        shocking@prth.pgs.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Further on tape & CAM problems

As Christopher T. Johnson wrote ...
> Some extra information on tape problems:
>
> FreeBSD neunacht.netgsi.com 4.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Apr 22
> 16:50:33 EDT 1999 root@:/m/src/sys/compile/NEUNACHT i386
>
> This is SMP machine with scsi only.
>
> The tape drive is an EXABYTE-8200.
>
> When doing tape IO that lasts for an extend period of time the tape drive
> will show an amber light.  This normally means SCSI activity.  At that
> point any reads or writes to the device happen at 1.4Mbytes/second when
> the max I know that this drive will do is 0.24 Mbytes/second.

The drive is speced for 270 kb/sec max IRRC.

> We've replaced the tape drive.  We've tested with different tapes.
>
> It LOOKS like the drive is detecting some sort of error and then going
> into "toss data mode".  This has cost me lots and lots of backups and
> is very distressing.

Exabyte is not particularly famous for stable firmware.

I have a 8200 here and a 4.0-current testbox. No SMP though, a lowly
P100 machine.

I'll give it a try and report later today.

> One interesting data point.  When I issue an mt erase command it runs for
> a fairly long time.  It should runn for just over 2 hours.  It gets about
> 3/4s of the way and stops.  Again with the orange light.  The interesting
> data point is that four tapes have all stopped at almost the same point.
> (Visual inspection of amount of media left on the reels.)

I can also try that, but it'll probably take until tomorrow.

Groeten / Cheers,